It can be really hard to be happy when you’re single again after a long-term relationship. Several years ago, I found myself single with 3 little girls after being married for 10 years. Those first few months I was single again threw me for a loop and it took awhile to feel like my head was above water. But, it did happen! I got my feet back on the ground and began to create the life I wanted for myself and my kids. Here’s some ideas on how to move forward and find happiness again as a single person.
1. Don’t get back into the dating scene right away. Take several months at least to get your feet back on the ground and be happy with who you are and what you are doing with your life.
2. Spend time with your family. Grow and strengthen those relationships, whether it’s with your children (if you have any), siblings, or parents. Strong family relationships stand the test of time and give us strength when we are weak and comfort during difficult times.
3. Connect spiritually with God. Relying on His power and care got me through the toughest times. Take time to pray, journal, and read good, uplifting books.
4. Journaling through hard times can help bring clarity and process your feelings. Also, writing in a gratitude journal is a great way to get a happiness boost. Take time to reflect about your blessings. A grateful heart is a happy heart.
5. Listen to good, uplifting music. I love to listen to music when I need energy or an emotional boost.
6. Develop your talents and hobbies. Put time into the things you love that may have been neglected when you were in your relationship. Maybe you love gardening, painting, decorating, or reading. You could also look into taking a community education class to learn new things and develop your interests. I put my heart into making my yard beautiful. I moved into a rental home that was a bit run down so my parents helped me paint a bedroom, clean up a messy rock garden and I planted some pretty flowers. Doing this gave me an incredible feeling of joy and satisfaction.
7. Discover new ways to relax and release your stress. I put up a bird feeder outside my living room window where I loved to sit on the couch and read and watch the birds. It was very relaxing to me. Some other ideas are to get some bath beads and soak in a relaxing bath, sing, knit, play an instrument, garden, go for long walks, or sit outside and soak in some sun. If you have children, take time to rejuvenate when they are with their other parent or find a babysitter so you can get a much needed break.
8. Put up some uplifting quotes in your house and pictures or photos that make you happy.
9. Serve others. Find ways to reach out to family, friends, neighbors, or your community. Putting your focus on somebody else helps you forget your struggles and sorrows for awhile and buoys you up. Serving others is almost always guaranteed to put a smile on your face and joy in your heart.
10. If you decide to date again, ease your way into it. Don’t rush into a relationship. Take time to get to know other people, make new friends, and keep it casual and fun.
What has worked for you to be happy when you’re single again?