The seventh Fast and the Furious movie might have ended up being as unmemorable as Rocky V—just another link in the profit chain. But then Paul Walker died mid-production. Now, the lead effects guru explains in The Hollywood Reporter how Paul Walker remained in the Furious 7 picture.
When Walker died in a crash in 2013, the tragedy reverberated through the car community. The Fast and the Furious franchise may be to automotive realism what McDonald’s french fries are to potatoes, but Walker was a genuine gear head, noted for his love of the Nissan Skyline and the E36-chassis BMW M3. When he died, he left a hole in that community, as well as an unfinished movie.
Finishing Furious 7 required significant technical knowhow and a lighter touch than the usual explosions and “danger to manifold” spray cheese. It might have been an impossible task, but with the help of Walker’s two brothers, the visual effects team at Weta Digital were able to create hundreds of shots involving Walker’s character, Brian O’Conner.
Using Caleb and Cody Walker as stand-ins, the VFX team made digital scans of the brothers and grafted a CGI representation of Paul’s face into every scene. Next, they studied similar footage to get lighting and skin tones right, touching up the footage digitally for maximum realism.
Then came the really tricky bit: adding in dialogue. The sound team stitched together Walker’s lines from existing recordings and presented the VFX team with dialogue to animate to.
Joe Letteri, who headed the effects team, laid out the challenge to The Hollywood Reporter. “You’d see small changes in the corners of his mouth that would telegraph what he was thinking, or in the corners of the eyes. These are really small details, but if you get them wrong, you feel that there’s something fake about the performance.”
Nuance isn’t something Fast and the Furious normally does, but here paying tribute to the late actor required hours of study and intricate work to get Walker’s mannerisms exactly right. “Other details involved placing the stubble on his beard correctly,” Letteri added. “The length and placement of every individual hair—because when that was off, it didn’t feel like Paul.”
The result was a touching tribute to one of the Fast and the Furious family. The effects are digital, but the work, and the sentiment, are very real.
- Rock & Vin Diesel To Settle Fast 8 Fight At Wrestlemania The Fast & Furious franchise has developed into one of Hollywood’s most unlikely mega-franchises in part because of a winning chemistry between its recurring main cast that […] Posted in Celebrity forum
- Ten Nigerian Actors Who Are The Richest In Nollywood There is no question that Nollywood movie industry has created a lot of opportunities for many gifted actors and actresses. A lot of people have taken these advantages to create wealth. […] Posted in Celebrity forum, TopTens
- The Truth Behind What Caused Paul Walker’s Fatal Crash Your tires are the most important part of your car. They can make you faster, they can save your life, or they can get you killed, even if you’re the star of a major car-centric action […] Posted in News, Lifestyle
- What’s at Stake for Britney Spears’s Big VMAs Comeback LAS VEGAS – If anyone has the right to say, “Don’t call it a comeback,” it’s Britney Spears, whose every public appearance since she bottomed out in 2007 has been labeled as […] Posted in Celebrity forum, Lifestyle
- The Canceled And Renewed TV Shows For 2016 – 2017 Here Are The Canceled And Renewed TV Shows For 2016 - 2017 HBO 6.4k 210 So far, 2016 has proven that TV is our one true King in the North.Canceled And Renewed […] Posted in Celebrity forum, Lifestyle, United States
- Seventeen shortest celebrity marriages of all time Unlike us "normal folk" who get divorced or have their marriages annulled, famous people don't get the luxury of privacy during those trying […] Posted in Celebrity forum, Lifestyle
- Porn Star Jenna Jameson Defends The KKK Slams Muslims Porn Star Jenna Jameson Defends The KKK, Slams 'Muslim Rape Gangs' In Twitter Rant Former adult film star Jenna Jameson took the internet by the […] Posted in Celebrity forum
- Meet former adult film actress who now has her own church (photos) - A woman who starred in over 100 adult films and earned more than N92 million a year in her roles made an amazing transformation - She quit acting, got married, became a pastor and […] Posted in Lifestyle, Religion